Soundwave | G1, The TF Collection (2003)

For the second Bot making an entry onto the 360robot.net website, I had to go with a Decepticon - and it felt right to go with one who is symbolic of the original Transformers G1 cartoon (and Megatron’s right-hand ‘Con) the enigmatic Soundwave!

The 360 Scans

 
Robot Mode

 
Alt-Mode

The Context

This particular Soundwave figure is a remake of the original “G1” mold from 1984, repackaged and released with his smaller Decepticon partner Laserbeak. As such, it immediately hits you right in the nostalgia feels. This figure has so much rich history and association with the Transformers that it is worth taking a few moments to track its genesis.

Soundwave’s toy began life as part of an original toy line in Japan called Microchange, which was one of two series of toys that went to become merged and provide the basis for the original ‘G1’ Transformers that we know today. One such 1983 Microchange figure was MicroCassette Robo: Cassette Man, and as the series title implies, these were figures of robots that turned into miniaturised versions of familiar objects. Microchange was also how the Decepticons ended up with a Leader as a Gun (Megatron) and a couple of troops who merged into a Camera (Reflector).

Soundwave | G1, The TF Collection (2003)


By the time ‘The Transformers’ as a US toy line was in development and released in 1984, Cassette Man had evolved to become Soundwave. His characterisation was fleshed out in both the Marvel Comics and the US Cartoon (quite differently it should be pointed out), and his ‘odd’ Transformation into a Walkman-type-thing somehow managed to never grate, largely due to the fact he had a whole team of sidekicks in the form of his transforming mini-cassette partners (Ravage, Laserbeak, Rumble and Frenzy to name a few) and of course in no small part due to the iconic voice given to him in the cartoon by the legendary Frank Welker.

I never owned many of the original 1984 toys growing up - any originals tended to be added to my collection years after the fact. The G1 TF Collection afforded many fans like me the chance to retroactively get in on the original Transformers toy action. The new packaging designs and completeness felt when buying these re-released figures created an irresistible nostalgia kick.

Soundwave | G1, The TF Collection (2003) | Alt-Mode

Soundwave | G1, The TF Collection (2003) | Alt-Mode

What I like about this Bot

I cannot recall the specific circumstances of acquiring every single Transformer in my collection, and Soundwave falls into this category. The TF Collection was released in 2003, so around that time I would have been in University, meaning spending my limited funds on re-released toys from the 80’s was questionable at best. But, that time of my life was also when I had my first self-earned disposable income. As master of my own destiny (and funds) I was going to put my money where it made me happy. As a result, Soundwave would have been part of an absolute avalanche of figures added to my ‘original’ collection during my University years.

I most likely picked him up on one of many trips to the Forbidden Planet store in my native Manchester (UK). Because it is Soundwave, he always had one of the top pride-of-place spots on display in my collection, wherever and whenever I moved it over the years.

His alt-mode is reassuringly solid, it feels great to hold. The simplistic transformation actually does the figure a whole world of good, as even now the figure does not feel weak or compromised. I don’t feel nervous handling or actively transforming this figure. He’s tough!

Alas, I can’t say the same for Laserbeak. As a result of displaying Soundwave more often than some of my other Bots, at some point Laserbeak had one of his missiles slightly damaged, unfortunately stopping my particular Soundwave from achieving a 100% completion rating.

Regardless, I know someone will want this figure and will be able to give both Soundwave and Laserbeak a good home. Accordingly, this figure is for sale, as this website and entire 360robots.net project is ultimately about reducing my collection down to a handful of robots. So it’s fitting that Bot #02 on the website is one that can kick-off the sales process.

STATUS: For sale!

Laserbeak!


The GIFs




Wrap Up

It was bound to happen. As I start to photograph these Bots individually, they will all get much more exclusive attention from me - for the duration of the shoot at the very least. I’m going to pick up new things and begin to appreciate aspects of these figures that I may not have noticed before, or that I may have taken for granted.

Soundwave has always looked amazing as part of my collection, though personally I don’t have as much attachment to the character beyond the usual fondness and appreciation for his voice and long-standing history as Megatron’s second-in-command.

Having 360-scanned this figure and seeing the results, I’m reminded that Soundwave is easily one of the most iconic Transformers toys ever. Having his pictures on the website so early in the process feels right. The alt-mode, his colour scheme, the weaponry and his face… They all embody so much of the history, richness and nostalgia of all things Transformers.

Soundwave is still represented, reimagined and remixed in modern versions of Transformers to this day. He is a consistent go-to character who has survived the test of time. With such an iconic toy to back up that mesmerising voice from the cartoons it’s easy to see and appreciate why.

Or, to put it another way, “Soundwave: Superior!”

Follow us on the socials!
Twitter, Instagram, YouTube!


Further Info & Links

For more information on this Soundwave model, and as a character, check out these amazing Transformers websites and related links;